The automobile garage has existed for as long as the automobile itself. First, there were barns for the horses with heavy doors. As technology has progressed, the garage door also became electronic. Now the garage door opener remote uses radiofrequency to open and close the automatic garage door. This advancement brought much more convenience to automobile owners. But the frequency needs to be changed for various reasons, such as if your neighbor has their remote as the same frequency or radio interference.
If you don’t know how to change the garage door opener’s frequency, the remote, then read it. First, you need to know how your garage door remote works and how you can troubleshoot your remote if facing some problem.
How does frequency is related to garage door openers?
First, let’s talk about the term frequency and its relation to the garage door opener. You might be surprised to know that all garage door openers work in a similar frequency range. The radio frequencies in the United States are heavily regulated, and many frequencies need to be licensed to be operated on devices like garage door openers, air traffic communications, etc. This is done to ensure that your garage door frequency does not interfere with your neighbor’s frequency or flying airplane.
As for your garage door, it works on the 2.4 GHz frequency. This range of frequencies has an ISM band. This band of frequency does not need a license, and it is free to use. Most of the companies, such as telecommunication, use this band of frequency. All of this is mentioned to make a point that you cannot genuinely change your garage door opener frequency. And it will be illegal if you do.
Why my car key does not open the garage door?
If your car key and garage door opener remote works on the same frequency, then you must be thinking why your car key cannot open your garage door. Let me tell you why. Your car key and garage door remote works on the same principle; they both share the secret code with the devices they are designed to operate with. This has been done since the ’60s. But at that time, singular code was shared between the garage door and remote.
Thieves caught a way to intercept this code, and car theft increased. But now things have changed. When you open your garage door in the morning, it sends a secret code to your remote, which will open the door next time. So, every time you open your garage door, you are using a brand new code, and the previous code is discarded. This is why you cannot open your garage door by car key because the car key does not have the same code. This also makes the interception of code impossible because there is a new code every time.
Why is my garage door remote, not working?
If you cannot change the frequency of your garage door remote, then why isn’t it working? Your garage door remote or keypad is not working because the connection between them is lost. The easiest solution is too to change the password of your opener by pressing the learn button. This will reset the password. Now press the code on your keypad. Your new password has been set. This new password will be acquainted with your remote.
How can I do this?
The answer to this question varies from one company to another. But the basic step remains the same.
- · There will be a learn button at the back of your opener. Press this button for 6 seconds.
- · Make sure the light next to it turns on. This is the indication that the previous code has been removed from your device.
- · Now press the learn button again. Now you will have 30 seconds to enter the password on your keypad.
- · While entering the password, look at the light next to the garage door motor. It should blink while you are entering the password. The blinking indicates that the garage door motor is accepting the password you are entering.
- · Now repeat the same procedure with a remote.
- · Light should turn off. It means the new password has been accepted.
- · After this, all your remotes should work with the opener.
How to change frequency on the chamberlain garage door opener?
The process for changing the frequency on chamberlain garage door openers and Liftmaster garage door openers is the same. Follow the given steps, and your remote will be working in no time:
- · Look for a Smart or Learn button on your motor unit.
- · Press this button for six seconds. The previous password is reset.
- · Now press and hold any button on your door opener within 30 seconds.
- · Release the button you were holding. If the motor unit blinks or clicks twice, then it means the password has been reset.
- · Press the button on the remote and test if the garage door opens with the new password or not.
How to change frequency on the craftsman garage door opener?
- There is an easy way to change frequency on the craftsman garage door opener by following a simple procedure:
- · Look for a black button at the back of your lens light on the receiver’s head on the door opener, close to the antenna.
- · Press the button until the light stops blinking.
- · Take out the remote and point it towards the antenna. Press the learn button keeping it at least 2 feet away.
- · Press the button again. To check if the new password is working or not.
You cannot change the frequency of your garage door remote because it is fixed. But if your remote is not opening your garage door, then this means that the connection between the remote and your device has been lost. You can perform the above-mentioned steps to make it start working again.